Do you need to take a breather to get your groove back in a tropical paradise? Perhaps you want to eat, pray, and love out of a heartbreak. Heck, maybe you just want to party as a party of one. Whatever your reason, taking a solo vacation and traveling to Hawaii by yourself can be a thrilling journey of self-discovery. Instead of focusing on what your partner, friends, or the kids want to do, this vacation is all about you! Maui may have a reputation as a romantic hotspot for couples, but it can also be the perfect destination for your next great single vacation.
How to Plan Your Maui Solocation
If you’ve never taken a single-cation before, don’t feel nervous or weird. In fact, as you sit down to plan, you’ll realize that this could be the greatest trip you’ve ever taken. For perhaps the first time, you’ll get to decide exactly what you want to do, where you want to eat, and how to pace your vacation.
Maui, Hawaii has tons of amazing things that you can do all by yourself that can help you grow as a person, push you to new heights, or help you relax and recover. As you begin planning for your vacation, figure out what the vacation is for and what you want to get out of it.
Rest and Relaxation
If you want to take a break from your hectic life, treat yourself to utter relaxation, or heal yourself after a setback, then focus on a Maui vacation of rest and relaxation. Some great activity options include:
- The Beach: Spend some time on our beautiful, soul-renewing beaches. Our little island includes over 30 miles of beaches. Some of them are wild and untamed, while others host parties and celebrations at night. Lay back in the sun, or take a walk with your ankles in the warm surf.
- Go to the Spa: Sometimes nourishing the outside can also help renew the inside. Maui includes many highly rated spas throughout our islands.
Snorkeling: This activity is fun, safe, and easy for all ages and fitness levels. One of the best ways to leave your stress behind is to peer into our azure waters to discover all the amazing life just below the surface.
It’s amazing how few of us take the time to ask ourselves if we are who we want to be, if we are doing what we want (or should be doing), or if there are things in our lives holding us back from achieving our dreams. A solo vacation can be the opportunity to learn more about yourself and to work through ruts, refresh your perspective, and help change the paradigm so that you can be your best self.
- Hikes: Maui isn’t just all about the beach. The interior of our island includes lush forests and some amazing trails. We’ve got dozens of waterfalls for you to discover, so start looking!
- Watch the Sunrise: Nothing reminds you that each day is precious like watching the sunrise. In Maui, our sunrises are some of the most beautiful in the entire world. We recommend grabbing a permit so you can watch the sunrise at the top of Haleakala, our huge dormant volcano. You’ll feel like you’re at the top of the world.
- Drive the Road to Hana: A long car trip is a great way to get in touch with yourself, and it doesn’t hurt to have some seriously beautiful landscapes to look at along the way. The Hana Highway is a 64.4-mile (103.6 km) journey of the soul, where you can drive down narrow roads and over one-lane bridges. Make sure to pull over occasionally to do some hiking. Also, say hello to the residents of Hana. You’ll be sure to make great new friends.
Your single-cation is also the perfect opportunity for you to push your limits and test yourself against your own fears and insecurities. We offer some amazing adventures that can strengthen both body and soul.
- Scuba Diving: If you’ve ever wanted to try scuba diving, you really can’t find a better locale. Our waters are warm and clear, letting you explore the hidden depths of the nautical world. Our scuba diving outfits can bring you to some of the world’s top scuba diving spots, where you can see a plethora of fish and corals, along with turtles, eels, manta rays, and even sharks!
- Eating and Drinking: It might not sound adventurous to mosey on up to a bar in Maui, but it can be a little intimidating on your own. Think of dining as an opportunity to try amazing new dishes and drinks and to meet people. Don’t be shy about starting a conversation! In Maui, many of our restaurants serve farm-to-table fare as well as some of the best and freshest seafood around. Don’t forget to try our famous Mai Tais and a coconut mojito.
- Paragliding: Afraid of heights? Time to get over that. Maui is gorgeous from the ground, but you also need to see it from the sky. Paragliding is super fun, and it will be an adrenaline-racing experience you’ll never forget. When you touch down, you’ll be a braver person than you were before!
If you wonder if you can really have fun traveling alone, you definitely can when you choose Maui as your destination. Make sure you treat yourself to accommodations that will let you really stretch out and relax. Not a busy, noisy hotel. Instead, rent a cozy little condo near the beach from Ali’i Resorts. We would love to help you plan the perfect Maui single-cation!